I am very excited that I will be home in Metro Detroit during the upcoming week. As always, there will be so much to do but too little time. Since Detroit keeps evolving, and I admittedly have not spent much time in the city since moving out east, it is time to visit places I have not been to in years and to finally experience places that I have never seen.
With limited time to visit with family and experience Detroit, I have listed everything that I want to do during my week at home. Please let me know if you have any must-sees that are not on this list. Even if I do not get to do everything this visit, I will be back.
Things I definitely will do:
Things I definitely will do:
1) The Detroit Zoo. I have not been to the Detroit Zoo since I was a kid, even though I have wanted to see the polar bear exhibit for years. Now that I have kids, I will be able to see their joy as they experience the zoo for the first time.
2) The DIA. I take art museums for granted, probably because I know they will always be there. I do not appreciate them until I actually find the time to step inside, or until I hear that a museum may be selling a piece of art that I have always wanted to see. With all the talk of selling the DIA's art, I am not taking the DIA for granted during this visit.
3) Visit a Cider Mill. Autumn in Michigan is colorful leaves, football, the brisk fall air, the smell of burning leaves, and apple cider. I probably will consume too many donuts and too much cider, but it will be worth it.
4) Eat a Coney dog. I really hope to head to American and Lafayette for a taste test. I remember being partial to Lafayette back in the day, but it has been a while since I have been to either. I am curious to see if Lafayette is still the champ. If my schedule does not allow me to go these neighboring restaurants, I will stop at one of the many other Coney restaurants in Metro Detroit to at least get one dog.
5) Take in my 14 year-old nephew’s hockey game in Troy. Despite my nephew being on some really good hockey teams, his teams are 0-2 with me in attendance. I hope the streak ends this time around.
Things I would like to do:
1) Visit EasternMarket. Based on my travel days and other commitments, I will not be able to visit on Saturday. Maybe, I will make it for the Tuesday market or at least to visit many of the shops and restaurants that are open all week.
2) Eat at Supino Pizzeria. I have never been but have read so many rave reviews. If I make it to Eastern market, I definitely am going here.
3) Visit Hamtramck for some real Polish food. I cannot get real Polish food in Northern Virginia.
4) Experience the first Dine Drink Detroit. This event has so many interesting restaurants, but I may only have time for one. Too bad I will not have time for them all.
5) SlowsBar-B-Q. I know they are part of Dine Drink Detroit, but I have to try both this place and one of the other restaurants featured in Dine Drink Detroit. My family raves about it, but I have never had the opportunity to visit.
6) John K.King Used and Rare Books. I love the smell and feel of old books. You cannot get that on a Kindle.
7) Walk the Detroit Riverfront. From the recent photos I have seen of the riverfront, it is so much more beautiful than it was 20 years ago. I hope it lives up to my expectations.
Things I will do when I get back to Virginia:
1) Start working out again to burn off the Coney dogs, pizza, donuts, Polish food, BBQ and Michigan beer.
2) Start planning and dreaming about my next trip to Michigan!